In this post, we recount stories of Sisters of Charity teachers from their days as a young Sisters teaching at St Canice’s Primary School before it closed in 1970. A Catholic education with professed sisters and brothers teaching in the years leading up to the 70’s was very different from what it is today. The sharing helps us learn and understand the diversity and richness of life in our parish community in past years. Over time, we build a rich mosaic of ‘our people
The first Kincoppal School was established on the site of the Hughes family home at Elizabeth Bay in 1909. The two schools were amalgamated in 1971 to become Kincoppal-Rose Bay School of the Sacred Heart. During this time, priests from St Canice’s looked after the spiritual needs of the students.
The girls at St Canice must have been well schooled in artistic attainments, this would probably be correct. One fragment of the school which survives is the programme for a concert given in 1945. Eurhythmics, to music of Chopin, was a feature of that; along with a Dutch dance from the juniors; a one-act play, called ‘Cock-a-doodle-do’, from the infants; and selected scenes from ‘The Merchant of Venice’ from the older girls.